Sunday, April 15, 2012

peoples responses

When personal challenges become public challenges, peoples responses are interesting and telling. 
It is a lot like how people treat someone they see that is severely handicapped.  Some people are kind and speak to the challenged person with warmth and concern. 
Others can not do anything but stare and show either shock or pity.  Neither which are good.
Others hurry and look away as if to think that if they don't see you there you really aren't.
 In my interactions with people over the last few months and especially the last couple of days, almost everyone falls into these categories. 
I understand because I have seen severely handicapped people and not known what to do.  I have even reacted in each of these ways. 
Now, speaking from experience; speaking directly to the challenged person even about their challenges is better than stealing glances or pretending they are not there. 
Being the guy sitting in the wheelchair as it were gives me a whole new outlook. 
God bless kind people!

2 comments:

  1. totally agree. YOu know just today at church in a very public spot I was asked how my dad died. I was totally taken off guard and didn't know how to respond because of fear of how people would react or judge me. i thankful for the people that are kind and if they want to ask me do so in nicer manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine what life would be like if we all thought before we talked!

    ReplyDelete