Sunday, April 1, 2012

Memories

I was weaned on the stories that came from the memories of my parents and grandparents as well as aunts and uncles.  I never tired of listening to the stories from their pasts.  There was always something magical and nostalgic about the past to me.  I felt bonded in some way to the people and places talked about.  It is one of the most important parts of my childhood.

As my short term memory gets worse and worse, I am finding memories of my own past that I had lost somewhere in my mind.  Perhaps it is the shift taking place in my brain that is bringing the past closer to the present and making the present more difficult to hold on to. I am remembering stories told to me as a child.  I am remembering my own experiences.

I was talking to the kids tonight about my dad and his family.  He has been dead for years and the kids have no memory of him. I felt fortunate that my longer term memory is improving and that I can pass on the memories I have to my children. I have vowed to try harder to bond my own children with my past and with that of our family.

Hidden gems; I consider the shift in my brain to be a hidden gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment