Monday, January 16, 2012

Humor

All my life I have used humor to deal with difficult situations, personal character flaws or anything else I didn't like about myself.  It has helped me (not necessarily a good thing)  pretend that things were not as bad as they seemed at times.  Humor has helped and continues to help me relieve strain and stress when dealing with my problems.  I am trying to do the same thing with epilepsy.  Things occur that are so frustrating and debilitating that anything short of humor about it is to depressing. 
For example; a week or so ago I was walking down a busy street trying to be a bit independent.  As I strolled along feeling quite fine I had a seizure in mid stride.  I fell hard cracking my ribs and then my head on the sidewalk.  As I regained control of my body I was sure to find a crowd  watching as it was a busy street.  However it seemed as though no one noticed.  I worked my way over to a local church and called my wife to pick me up. 
At the moment it was not very funny.  Since then I have had to look at it as a funny event that would have been great to watch.  Maybe it is morbid but I have tried to imagine what it looked like from the street.  I find myself laughing at myself and it is therapeutic.  Perhaps this does not work for everyone else, but it works for me.  In stead of feeling so discouraged by my inability to be independent I laugh and see each time I venture out on my own as an adventure.
Humor at my own expense has been vital to keeping my spirits up!

No comments:

Post a Comment